Sunday, December 30, 2012

I’m very pleased to say that I am now officially an outpatient! This means that I will continue my recovery by regularly meeting with physical therapists, occupational therapists, and a lot of other therapists, but that I get to live at my parents home! I might be the first 28 year old this excited about living with my parents . But it is obviously a huge step up from being a hospital resident.
As far as my recovery goes, I’m walking everywhere, going up and down stairs, and inching my way back to being able to do my yoga and pilates again (yes, I’m excited about that!).
As far as how I’m doing emotionally, I continue to feel immensely indebted to my family members and friends who have given so much to me and my parents during the past few months. I’m incredibly indebted to the care from my doctors, nurses, and the professional support staff from Craig Hospital in Denver and Waikato Hospital in New Zealand. It’s because of all these people that I’m able to sit here this morning, updating the blog, sipping coffee, and chatting with my parents about New Years plans.
I lost the love of my life. But I’m lucky to still have this much love in my life. And that gratitude helps me get closer and closer to normal.
 
Hoping all had a wonderful Christmas holiday and wishing you a Happy New Year.
 
Kirsten

10 comments:

  1. Here's to you Kirsten. We are so happy to hear of your continued progress and your hopeful attitude. You have been in our prayers. God bless you and your family and Kallan's too. May your journey be an example to those around you. Sincerely, Marcia & Bob Johnson (Paul's parents)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kirsten

    Were pleased to hear of your progress and know that with your parents support you will get there:)
    Keep smiling:)

    From the reception staff at Hilda Ross House, Waikato Hospital

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Kirsten!!
    I am a New Zealander from Auckland. I was saddened to learn of your accident in our news. I followed your story and cheered for you when you were able to return home to continue on the road to your recovery. Best wished for 2013!
    Krissy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Kirsten, wishing you a happy new year just doesn't seem right to me, after all you've been through & continue to struggle with ..... I'd like to wish you & your family strength, love, patience and as much support as you can possibly get. But then you have all of that anyway :-) Just continue to be you, and try to heal from all your wounds .... both visible and those deep inside. Best wishes from Germany.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kia ora Kirsten. On Saturday the 5th of January, my little sister wed her love at the Waitomo Caves. It was a beautiful day, she had a large bridal party which included their 4 children. During the ceremony, one of our local kaumatua (maori elder) did a karakia (maori prayer) in memory of your husband who recently lost his life at our Waitomo intersection. Just wanted you to know that although you have left our country, you will always be in the Waitomo communities hearts. We wish you well as you adapt to the changes in your life and to your husbands whanau also xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is so good to see a photo of you standing! It is so good to hear from you as well. I have been following your updates and it just shows you are very strong woman! May this year bring you joy and blessings. Enjoy living with your parents again! :) Thank you for taking the time to updates us. Looking forward to reading your blog!
    Stacey
    Colorado

    ReplyDelete
  7. We follow your progress Kirsten and are pleased to see you continue to strengthen in every way. We send you and your parents our best wishes for this New Year.

    The crew of the Westpac Waikato Rescue Helicopter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kirsten,

    We are now into Febuary the time is going fast as a new Year has arrived. I hope you and your family had a good Christmas and New Year.
    I am pleased your progress is going well.

    I wish you and your family all the best for 2013 an look forward to reading your up dates .

    Take care and may God less you all

    From A friend in New Zealand

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Kirsten,

    I am pleased to read your progress up dates .

    I want to wish you and your family a Happy New Year

    May God Bless you All

    ReplyDelete
  10. From great tragedy, comes even greater triumph. You are a prime example of the latter. Continue to look forward as you progress with your recovery...and may your memories of the past provide a source of strength and wisdom so that you may appreciate the value of every day going forward.

    The Dubucs from Massachusetts

    ReplyDelete